Brookings 6th Street & US 14 Project
10/20/17 PROJECT UPDATE: Phase 3 Completion Set for Monday, October 23rd
BX Civil & Construction plans on wrapping up Phase 2 of this project as of Monday, October 23rd, weather permitting. The Original estimated completion dates for this phase November 1, 2017. For more detials on what this means for the Brookings 6th Street Project check out the SD DOT Press Release.
7/21/17 PROJECT UPDATE: 6th Street and 22nd Avenue Intersection To Re-open Sunday 7/23
BX Civil & Construction will re-open 6th Street & 22nd Avenue Intersection Sunday, July 23, 2017. For more details check out the SD DOT Press Release.
BX Civil & Construction is the Prime Contractor working on the Brookings 6th Street project. The total cost of the project is $17 million and is contracted through the Department of Transportation and the City of Brookings. Construction started in March 2017 and is scheduled for overall completion by June 30, 2018.
The project is broken up into 4 phases (courtesy of SD DOT website):
- Phase 0: Preliminary prep work for the project which includes installation of temporary traffic signals throughout the project and detour routes, traffic barrier installation, temporary surfacing at entrances/intersections for carrying traffic and asphalt strengthening/overlay on Minnesota Drive for local detour traffic. – COMPLETED March 31, 2017
- Phase 1: Install traffic control on 6th Street moving westbound traffic to eastbound lanes to allow for the construction of the westbound lanes. Install traffic control on I29 switching northbound traffic to southbound lanes and vice versa for structure removal and construction of Phase 1 Bridge. Removal and reconstruction of the northbound on-ramp and southbound off-ramp at I-29 Exit 132. Closure of 22nd Avenue intersection (May 8 – August 11 tentatively) to allow for intersection reconstruction and utility installations. – COMPLETED August 1, 2017
- Phase 2: Install traffic control on 6th Street moving traffic to newly constructed westbound lanes and Phase 1 Bridge to allow for the construction of eastbound lanes, removal of existing eastbound Bridge and complete Phase 2 Bridge. Removal and reconstruction of southbound on-ramp and northbound off-ramp at I29 Exit 132 – COMPLETED: October 23, 2017
- Phase 3: Complete proposed median pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalks and service roads that were not completed during phases 1 and 2 – Completion set for June 2018
Improvement Type: Grading, PCC Pavement, Curb & Gutter, Storm Sewer, Water Main, Sanitary Sewer, Lighting, Bridge, Signing, Signals and Pavement Markings
Improvements will include (courtesy of SD DOT website):
- New concrete surfacing – 9-inch PCCP, curb & gutter, storm sewer, sidewalk, traffic signals, new 5-lane bridge with a sidewalk on both sides and roadway lighting.
- Numerous improvements at intersections include:
- the widening of the intersection at 22nd Avenue to accommodate 7 lanes with dual left turning lanes
- Sunrise Ridge Road will become a through street with a traffic signal
- 25th Avenue intersection will be modified to a 3/4 intersection and no longer be signalized
- Lefevre Drive intersection will be reconfigured to a 3/4 intersection
- 32nd Avenue intersection will be widened to accommodate dual left turn lanes on the south side
- an intersection of 34th Avenue will be widened to accommodate left and right turn lanes.
More than 70,000 square yards of new concrete paving will occur during the project with additional 6,000 cubic yards of concrete used in other areas like curb and gutters and sidewalks.
Nearly 95 percent of the $17 million dollars being invested in the contract will be spent on companies located within 60 miles of Brookings. The project includes between 30 to 50 employees on any given day.
Head to the SD DOT project page to learn more about the project.
Want to know more?
22nd Ave. Intersection opened in 55 days. Thank you to all of our Team Members for your hard work!